Thursday 4 August 2011

The Wicker Man Review


I’m sure I’m not the only one to have had awkward encounters with 'classic' movies. Whether released before your time, or just missed by chance, we’ve all encountered films in which the surrounding hype has only done the film a disservice. Confused, disappointed or just left thinking ‘Why is it held in such a high regard?’ it’s easy to pretend you agree with the acclaim until a safe distance away from the hardcore fans to let the truth bubble to the surface. The most recent example of this happening to me was with Nicolas Roeg’s Don’t Look Now (1973). I caught it on Film4 and just didn’t get it at all. Maybe the adverts punctured the effect and perhaps the years of critical acclaim didn’t help. Anyway, I've recently got it cheap on DVD in a bid to see how it plays second time around. The reason I bring this idea up is that I recently saw Robin Hardy’s The Wicker Man released in the same year. With similar acclaim, it was only natural to be wondering whether I’d be experiencing a similar sense of crushing disappointment.

Sergeant Neil Howie (Edward Woodward) receives an anonymous letter that takes him to the Scottish coastal island of Summerisle in search of a missing girl. When it becomes clear that the villages know more than they are letting on, and strange sexual rituals seem to be a village norm, Howie takes it on himself to find the little girl before the island’s May Day Celebrations, a date that due to the behaviour of Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee) and the landlord’s daughter Willow (Britt Ekland), look sure to bring unknown troubles to the strange community.

Never terrifying, but always creepy. Hardy fills the screen with imagery beautiful, strange and chilling enough to maintain a near-constant state of unease. To say specifically the moments that affected me most would ruin it for those who haven’t seen the film, but Howie being watched by the townsfolk leaving for his plane is just one moment that isn’t easily shaken off.

Kim Newman’s highly regarded book of horror cinema is called Nightmare Movies. Although the book never plays with the idea, the ability to give nightmares has to be some sort of indication that a film has got to you. It happened to me with The Omen. It happened to me with Jacob’s Ladder. It has now happened to me with The Wicker Man.

With its gripping, uneasy atmosphere, beautiful strangeness and surprise musical elements and humour, The Wicker Man is a bona fide masterpiece. A horror film to rival any other. Not only a superb British film, but one of the greatest of all time, full stop. But remember, this is just my opinion. After all, they’ve said the same of Don’t Look Now in the past.


*I’ve not seen the remake but, despite my love for Nicholas Cage performance both good (Adaptation, Face-Off), bad (Season of the Witch) and mad (Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans), I’ll be avoiding it. Robin Hardy’s upcoming film The Wicker Tree arrives at Frightfest in August comprised of the same DNA of The Wicker Man. It is apparantly a satire with a comic tone and as a result, very different from the original classic. Hardy himself is attending Frightfest and although I’d love to see him introduce the new film, it clashes with Spanish found-footage shocker Atrocious. Tough choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment